Skip to main content

Wizkid has been stealing my songs for long –Blackface



Ahmedu Augustine, widely known as Blackface
Veteran dancehall act and a former member of the defunct Afro-pop singing trio, Plantashun Boyz, Ahmedu Augustine, widely known as Blackface, has called on fellow musician, Wizkid, to “stop stealing” his songs.
Blackface who spoke exclusively to Saturday Beats earlier in the week, said the young hip-hop artiste had been copying many of his songs for a long time but he decided to keep quiet just to let peace reign. The Benue State-born raga performer however said he decided to speak out now because he could no longer sit and watch someone else take the glory for his efforts.
The latest controversy follows the release of a new song by Blackface titled Killa where he was believed to have taken a swipe on Wizkid for allegedly copying many of his songs especially two tracks from his Dancehall Business album released in 2010.
“I never really wanted to talk about it all this while but after people started checking out my new song, Killa, many felt Blackface sounded like Wizkid, which I didn’t like.
“If you check properly, you would realise that Wizkid’s hit,Ojuelegba, sounds exactly the same as the track 13 on my dancehall album released as far back as 2010. You need to listen to that album to know what I am talking about. The song is so similar that I think it shouldn’t be that way.
“Well, in Killa, I sang that “they tried to copy my melody,” and the bloggers got a hint of the gist and put their reports out. What I said is the truth and I am going to get to the root of this matter because I deserve justice.
“The Ojuelegba song has made so much revenue for Wizkid. I am not bothered about that but I want the industry to be in a position whereby people will understand that some of the artistes and the songs they are cheering is someone else’s efforts, especially fellow artistes that they are doing everything to bring down. All they are doing is to bring down Blackface and to say that he is not relevant in the industry. Some people are bent on killing my legacy. I believe there is definitely a gang-up against me in the industry and this has been going on for a long time,” he said.
Asked if he had taken on Wizkid personally on the matter, the dancehall artiste said he did his best in that regard but that the response from the Star Boy act shocked him. To get justice on this issue, Blackface disclosed to Saturday Beats that he could seek legal redress if Wizkid or others do not refrain from stealing his intellectual properties.
“There was a time Wizkid followed me on twitter and I told him that I don’t want him taking my songs and that if he wants to do any of my rhythm, he should let me know. I told him that because I was just being a big brother to him. I told him that our songs can’t be sounding so similar and that if he wants anything, he should let me know. But after some time, he ‘unfollowed’ me and it was shortly after then that the Ojuelegbasong was released. I don’t have any problem with Wizkid or any other person, all I am saying is that they shouldn’t be tampering with my songs because those are my properties.
“Wizkid and I do different kinds of music and he doesn’t have my type of skill. I don’t have a problem with that. I am only bothered when somebody takes my song and tries to turn it around into theirs without giving me due credit,” he said.
Efforts to reach Wizkid to react to Blackface’s claims proved abortive as his phone numbers were switched off. His manager, Sunday Are, couldn’t be reached as his line was switched off as well.
Wizkid has been in the news lately for a similar allegation. Hypertek Music artiste, Dammy Krane, also recently accused him of stealing one of his songs. The controversy degenerated into a physical fracas with Wizkid reported to have thrown a glass cup at Krane which injured him during a night out at a club in Lagos. The two are believed to have since mended fence. Source: Punch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okorocha seeks unity among Igbo traders in Lagos

Ndigbo must understand Nigeria’s politics, he says BY GILBERT EKEZIE Imo State Governor, Owelle Rochas Anayo Okorocha, last Sunday met with leaders of various Igbo trad­ers’ associations in Lagos. The meet­ing held at the Excel Oriental Hotel and Suites, along Airport Road, Mafoluko, Oshodi. The meeting, which came few weeks after the Imo Liaison Office in Lagos organised a well-attended South East Busi­ness and Investment Summit in Lagos, centred on sensitisation, empowerment and development of Igbo traders in Lagos for a better output. Addressing the traders, Okorocha expressed gratitude for the turnout at the forum. The governor regretted, however, that the Igbo, despite their large numbers in Lagos, failed to unite to achieve their objec­tives, especially in the area of influencing some certain decisions in the state for a more conducive business environment. “I am surprised to hear that Ndi...

I made N6m as a fake lawyer

Olawale Falola  | credits: Olufemi Atoyebi A fake lawyer, Olawale Falola, said he made N6m from his victims who he promised to help secure jobs at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation. Falola, who was nabbed by the Oyo State Police Command during a stop-and-search in Ibadan recently, claimed to be a dropout of a university in Osun State, adding that he had deceived more than 100 people with his fake identity. It was gathered that after seeing a sticker belonging to the Nigeria Bar Association on his windscreen, the police asked him about his identity, but he failed to substantiate his claim of being a lawyer. He said, “I paraded myself as a lawyer and I have taken money from more than 100 people. I promised to get jobs for them at NNPC and security organisations. I have made up to N4m from the practice out of which I bought a Toyota Corolla car. I lived in Osogbo. I came to Ibadan to visit my family when I was arrested by the police.” The car, valued a...

Ballon d’Or 2017 final shortlist- Kante, Aubameyang, De Gea named

Cristiano Ronaldo- current Ballon d’Or holder will be set to defend his title as he was named to the 30-man shortlist alongside the likes of Lionel Messi, Neymar, Luis Suarez, Harry Kane and Robert Lewandowski. Chelsea pair N’Golo Kante and Eden Hazard, Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea and Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne also make the list. Spain’s La Liga leads all leagues with 11 nominees, followed by the Premier League with seven, Serie A with five, Ligue 1 with four and the Bundesliga with three. Real Madrid have by far the most players on the list with seven — Ronaldo, Luka Modric, Marcelo, Sergio Ramos, Toni Kroos, Karim Benzema and Isco. PSG are the only other club with at least three, with Neymar, Edinson Cavani and Kylian Mbappe. Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Juventus, and Liverpool all have two players on the list. Gareth Bale misses out, he has only scored five goals for Real Madrid this year, struggling for form and fitne...