Skip to main content

Julius Agwu ripped us off –Charly Boy

wu ripped us off –Charly Boy
In this season of ‘clap-backs,’ the scathing review of comedian, Julius Agwu’s Valentine show by entertainment icon, Charly Boy, seems to have festered further, as the ‘born again’ comedian expressed that the Area Father greatly overstepped his bounds.
It would be recalled that 61-year-old Charly Boy had expressed in a post after Julius Agwu’s ‘Life As I See It’ show at Transcorp Hilton on February 14, that the comedian turned the stage to a pulpit.
When Saturday Beats put Charly Boy on the spot on why he went that far with his ‘review’ of the show, he said it was because he felt ripped off.
Charly Boy told one of our correspondents over the phone, “I did not think it was a big deal. Julius is like my younger brother. Several times, I have called him to give him my own little advice.
“I just felt ripped off. Like I said, I was looking at other people’s faces and I could see the disgust. They came to laugh because there is so much frustration around. I came there to roll on the floor and laugh my head off.
“Rather, it was like a revival and I don’t think it is right. He has not reached out to me. He only does that when he has a show and needs me to come and buy a table. There is no problem with that. I am not a comedian, I only gave my advice as a big brother.”
The nature of Agwu’s comedy has significantly turned religious since he survived a surgery to remove a brain tumour in 2015, which he described as a way of being given a second chance by God.
But Charly Boy told Saturday Beats that Agwu would do better to either stay as a comedian or become a priest.
An Instagram post of a cheaply bejewelled man whom Agwu called “Charly Boy role model”on Wednesday, had been seen as a subtle fireback at Charly Boy.
To this, Charly Boy said, “I don’t care if he took it badly. If ‘yabbing’ me makes him feel better, he should go ahead. I have given my opinion; end of story.”
However, when Saturday Beats tracked down Julius Agwu via the telephone, he explained that he was in the US for his medical check-up.   The comedian said Charly Boy was being immature.
He said, “I did not post that picture because of what Charly Boy wrote about my show. I posted it simply as a joke. I hold him in high esteem and respect him. What I did has not changed me from the comedian that people knew. I had an encounter with God and I am using that show to tell the story of God’s glory in my life.
“Charly Boy has my number. If he was angry, he could have reached out to me as a younger brother. This is not the first time he would be attending my show. That particular show was meant to honour God. He had a choice, he could have refused to come.
“My God will answer Charly Boy on my behalf. It is God’s work I am doing now, so it is God that he is mocking, not me. Nobody mocks God.”
Julius Agwu told Saturday Beats that he was never a protégé of Charly Boy and so did not see any reason why he should pander to his wishes.
“Check our records and compare, who is a better role model for our generation and those unborn between me and Charly Boy. I am concentrating on getting my health back fully. My life is just starting,” he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okorocha seeks unity among Igbo traders in Lagos

Ndigbo must understand Nigeria’s politics, he says BY GILBERT EKEZIE Imo State Governor, Owelle Rochas Anayo Okorocha, last Sunday met with leaders of various Igbo trad­ers’ associations in Lagos. The meet­ing held at the Excel Oriental Hotel and Suites, along Airport Road, Mafoluko, Oshodi. The meeting, which came few weeks after the Imo Liaison Office in Lagos organised a well-attended South East Busi­ness and Investment Summit in Lagos, centred on sensitisation, empowerment and development of Igbo traders in Lagos for a better output. Addressing the traders, Okorocha expressed gratitude for the turnout at the forum. The governor regretted, however, that the Igbo, despite their large numbers in Lagos, failed to unite to achieve their objec­tives, especially in the area of influencing some certain decisions in the state for a more conducive business environment. “I am surprised to hear that Ndi...

I made N6m as a fake lawyer

Olawale Falola  | credits: Olufemi Atoyebi A fake lawyer, Olawale Falola, said he made N6m from his victims who he promised to help secure jobs at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation. Falola, who was nabbed by the Oyo State Police Command during a stop-and-search in Ibadan recently, claimed to be a dropout of a university in Osun State, adding that he had deceived more than 100 people with his fake identity. It was gathered that after seeing a sticker belonging to the Nigeria Bar Association on his windscreen, the police asked him about his identity, but he failed to substantiate his claim of being a lawyer. He said, “I paraded myself as a lawyer and I have taken money from more than 100 people. I promised to get jobs for them at NNPC and security organisations. I have made up to N4m from the practice out of which I bought a Toyota Corolla car. I lived in Osogbo. I came to Ibadan to visit my family when I was arrested by the police.” The car, valued a...

Ballon d’Or 2017 final shortlist- Kante, Aubameyang, De Gea named

Cristiano Ronaldo- current Ballon d’Or holder will be set to defend his title as he was named to the 30-man shortlist alongside the likes of Lionel Messi, Neymar, Luis Suarez, Harry Kane and Robert Lewandowski. Chelsea pair N’Golo Kante and Eden Hazard, Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea and Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne also make the list. Spain’s La Liga leads all leagues with 11 nominees, followed by the Premier League with seven, Serie A with five, Ligue 1 with four and the Bundesliga with three. Real Madrid have by far the most players on the list with seven — Ronaldo, Luka Modric, Marcelo, Sergio Ramos, Toni Kroos, Karim Benzema and Isco. PSG are the only other club with at least three, with Neymar, Edinson Cavani and Kylian Mbappe. Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Juventus, and Liverpool all have two players on the list. Gareth Bale misses out, he has only scored five goals for Real Madrid this year, struggling for form and fitne...